The German Aerospace center (DLR) is organizing a free-of-charge Summer-School “Copernicus for Cultural Heritage“, which will take place from July, 3.-6. 2023 at the premises of the DLR, in Oberpfaffenhofen near Munich in Germany.
The goal of the workshop is to inform the participants on usage and best practice of Copernicus satellite data provided free of charge by the EU and also for practical exchange between participants and remote sensing experts on using satellite data in cultural heritage and archeology.
- Earth Observation in support of Cultural and Natural Heritage was strongly presented at the ESA’s Living Planet Symposium. The event took place on 23–27 May 2022 in Bonn, Germany and was organised with the support of the German Aerospace Center (DLR). Two major events were attended by a large scientific community: An AGORA on the Future of EO for Heritage which was chaired by Jolanda Patruno and Mario Hernandez, and a Scientific Session on Copernicus for Cultural and Natural Heritage.
Cultural Heritage and EO: what you’ll find at LPS22
- The Group on Earth Observation (GEO) supporting Urban Heritage with EO science and technology
The Group on Earth Observation (GEO) launches an initiative to use Earth Observation (EO) to support the assessment of climate change into Urban Heritage. This initiative aims to be active from 2020 to 2022.
- The European Space Agency (ESA), through the use of Copernicus data, aims to support bridging the gap between the space and cultural heritage sectors.
- EARSeL SIG on Natural and Cultural Heritage working closely with the EARSeL SIG on Education:
Since September 2016, a dedicated UNESCO Chair has been established by the UNESCO at the Heidelberg University of Education in the Department of Geography: “UNESCO Chair on World Heritage and Biosphere Reserve Observation and Education”.
Such a UNESCO Chair aims to support site managers in acquiring the necessary capacity to use geomatics in their daily heritage activities. In particular for EARSeL this UNESCO Chair is managed by the co-chairman of the EARSeL Special Interest Group (SIG) on Education.
- Copernicus for Cultural Heritage: satellites to preserve the legacy from our past!
Workshop of March 2018
- Copernicus Service in Support to EU External Action: Cultural Heritage
The Copernicus SEA contributes to the analysis of the crisis, identifying and monitoring the sites affected by assessing overall damages due to conflict in areas hosting cultural heritage sites: https://sea.security.copernicus.eu/domains/cultural-heritage/
List of relevant projects
- Under construction